“Hoping to drink beer without gaining weight is the same as winning the lottery and expecting that no sketchy relatives will ask for a boat.”
There are few people who do not get into indulging in their diet and they eat what they like.
This leads to getting to eat calorie heavy food. This becomes a habit over a period of time and leads to weight gain. Some of the common eating habits which without us knowing leads to weight gain are:
1. Television eating: Very often we eat while watching television. The problem with eating in front of TV is that we do not pay attention to our plate. A very common vision comes to me is of my brother eating his food while watching his favorite TV series. He does not realize and eats more than his normal. Chips are the common food that one eats, without realizing it directly adds to your weight.
2. Sleep Loss: Loss of sleep affects the appetite. Medically it affects the secretion of a hormone cortisol which regulates appetite. So if you don’t sleep enough you eat more and result is weight gain. It’s a very common mistake that sleeping leads to weight gain. Of course if sleep is more it affects your level of physical activity, but adequate sleep is critical to keep healthy.
3. After Dinner Treat: It’s common to have something sweet after dinner. Anything sweet has lots of calories. It directly adds up. After dinner the physical activity is at minimum level hence the sugar intake directly converts to Fat.
4. Skipping Breakfast: Most of us do not have a healthy breakfast. We just have little breakfast at the start of the day. Eating well after a break of 10 hours is secret to keeping munching junk food at bay. Generally it leads to cravings that force us to eat fat rich junk food without realizing.
5. Filling up the Plate: The most common eating habit is to fill our plate with food. It’s not a good approach as we are compelled to eat all of it even if it is more than our intake. Instead we should try smaller portions and stop eating when we are a little less than full.
6. Forbidding certain food items: It is a common practice to forbid certain food items we like because they are calorie rich. However it is very common to eat more when you get the chance and that is not good. Such kind of eating habits directly lead to weight gain. The more balanced approach is to indulge in eating what you like modestly. This will help in keeping weight under check.
7. Dining Out after a diet week: This may lead to over eating as we feel attracted to good looking food after a diet week. Invariably the food we eat after a diet wee leads to weight gain. The approach should to drink a glass of water or have fruit salad before the main course.
8. Eating on the go: Eating on the way to office is another case where we do not watch what we eat. It is almost similar to eating while in front of TV. We eat more while not realizing the fact. This habit surely leads to weight gain in the long run.
9. Eating when under stress: We may pick up this habit as we all have targets to meet and emotional stress invariably. We are not conscious and more times than not we indulge in over eating.
10. Drinking sugary and alcoholic drinks with our food: Drinking juices helps us is a common mistake. Almost all packaged fruit juice contains sugars which add up the calories. Harmless looking coffee and tea breaks also lead to adding calories.